I joined colleagues from the BACN (British Association of Cosmetic Nurses) for this 4 hour update which was held in Glasgow.
First Aid Scotland provided the course along with refreshments. Each attendee receives a certificate of attendance which counts as professional CPD.
A brief summary of what we learned:
- ANAPHYLAXIS is a life-threatening hypersensitivity reaction
- SYMPTOMS INCLUDE: itching, urticaria, blotchiness/hives, swelling of facial features and mucous membranes, yawning, confusion, airway restriction and blockage, loss of consciousness, cardiac arrest.
- Victims may have an ADRENALINE pen with them or in their home – help them to use it
- Call emergency services and tell them “ANAPHYLAXIS”
- If semi or unconscious, place in recovery position and monitor breathing MAKE SURE EMERGENCY SERVICES HAVE BEEN CALLED
- If breathing stops, start chest compressions and, if able, give rescue breaths in a ratio of 2 breaths to 30 chest compressions.